Friday, April 5, 2013

Over my head

What's the over/under on when that black oak branch hanging over Route 842, about a quarter-mile east of Byrd Road, is going to come crashing down? Last June one big branch from the huge tree came down, and I don't think this one will make it through the first strong summer storm.
A friend of mine was giving directions and I heard her say, "that branch that's ready to crush your car," and I knew exactly what she meant. I've noticed myself speeding up a little bit to decrease the amount of time I spend directly under it.
Kind of reminds me of the twisted logic that an old boyfriend used: he reasoned that because so many fender-benders occurred in parking lots, it was best to spend as little time as possible in them -- and hence, to drive as fast as possible through them, ideally doing spins and sideways skids.

No comments:

Post a Comment