Thursday, May 9, 2013

Fly-in

The other day I was sitting on the back deck eating carrots and guacamole and reading the Kennett Paper and heard that familiar chittering noise: the first Ruby-Throated Hummingbird of the season had arrived! She perched on a pine branch for a few seconds and then came to the feeder and drank a fair amount of nectar. So glad I put up the feeder: my mother had phoned the night before to alert me that a hummer had just arrived at her house, just a few miles east. They are late in arriving this spring.
I saw the first male two days later (males have the red "gorget"), but just for a few seconds.
A West Marlborough neighbor reports that she just saw the first Baltimore Oriole of the season at her house! Eastern Meadowlarks and Bobolinks have also been spotted.

No comments:

Post a Comment