Saturday, May 11, 2013

Plant Sale

I look forward to the London Grove Meeting Plant Sale all year, as much -- I confess -- for the camaraderie as for the flora. I arrived a little before 8 a.m. (the serious early-birds were already leaving), got a cup of coffee and spent the first half-hour walking around chatting with neighbors and friends from all the circles of my life before actually getting down to business.
There's a comforting familiarity about the sale: You know where the Brandywine and London Grove tomatoes will be. You know where Plant Parking will be. You know Margaret Walton will be there selling hanging baskets.
I ended up buying a lovely blue columbine for the new shade garden, a valerian (wonderful fragrance!), some blue salvia for the cutting garden and a tomato plant. I also took home a renewed appreciation of the Plant Sale's perennial sense of community, friendliness and hospitality.
As one wise Quaker lady said to me: "Sometimes people are more important than plants."
(And a special thanks to those of you at the Plant Sale who said nice things about this little column. Very much appreciated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment