Tuesday, July 9, 2013

This bird has flown

A few weeks ago I was watering my hanging geranium basket and thought, what on earth are all these pine needles doing here? Then I realized it was a nest, with four little brown eggs inside.
I kept my distance from the nest but realized the babies had hatched when the parents -- Carolina wrens -- started bringing in frequent food deliveries, first perching cautiously on the deck railing, then on the roof, then on the basket hanger, and finally jumping down into the thick of the plant.
I peeked and saw the tiny babies, probably just hours after they were born. They grew at an astonishing rate and just a few days later were peeping loudly for food. One morning I noticed the parents weren't making their food deliveries anymore, so I checked the nest -- and it was empty. It was high time they departed, anyway, because the little guys were quickly outgrowing the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment