Sunday, October 6, 2013

Baked goods

At the Unionville Community Fair I did my usual shift as the "director" of one of the Saturday afternoon baking competitions, and people submitted 11 apple pie entries and 10 chocolate cakes, an excellent turnout. (Alas, there was only one entry in the youth brownie/cookie contest. I was on the verge of texting the Young Relative and telling him to whip something up.)
The judges started their tasting at 2 p.m., and many of the contestants stood nearby watching anxiously. The judges take their work very seriously, and the process is a lengthy one. I was sent out periodically to give updates to the entrants, like a nurse updating the waiting family of a surgical patient: "The judges have one more pie to taste," I'd intone, or "The judges did not have a bad word to say about any of the chocolate cakes."
The entries were so good this year that the deliberations seemed to take extra-long. At one point I was instructed to say, "The judges are close to deciding."
"We don't believe you anymore," said one contestant.

No comments:

Post a Comment