Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The way you look tonight

A faithful online reader pretty much nailed my sense of chic when he reminded me of the time some years back that I spent an entire day with a poppy seed from my breakfast bagel lodged between my two front teeth. Apparently no one had mentioned it to me until he did, in the evening.
Fast-forward 20-plus years to Tuesday, which was a hectic day involving multiple wardrobe changes. In addition to editing work here at my desk, I had a ladies' luncheon to attend, and in the afternoon I was planting tulip bulbs and taking some photos that involved traipsing through damp fields and climbing fences.
Then, rushing to get ready for my gym class in the late afternoon, I swapped my jeans for a tennis skirt, grabbed a bandanna from the drawer and headed out the door to the Jennersville Y. Obviously, I did so without glancing in the mirror: when I walked into my class I looked like one of those kids' flipbooks where you create a character wearing an absurdly mismatched outfit. From top to bottom: Blue topaz earrings from the luncheon. My omnipresent fleece pullover. Halloween-themed bandanna with dancing skeletons. Black tennis skirt. Bare legs. Multicolored hand-knitted socks. Duck boots. It could hardly have been worse.
"At several points in the day, I'll bet you looked great," commented one diplomatic gym friend -- when she could stop laughing. Talk about tact!
In another fashion note, the "Wall Street Journal" each Thursday runs a piece detailing the clothes worn by employees in a certain workplace. This week it was the American Ballet Theatre in Manhattan, and I was surprised to see that the assistant stage manager was quoted as saying he was wearing Ariat boots. Ariats are, of course, those sleek, smart-looking leather boots very popular in the equestrian world; I didn't realize they made thick-soled workboots, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment