Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Internet safety


I just signed up for a lecture about Internet safety for kids ("Social Media Awareness: Your Child in the Digital World") that's going to be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20, at the Unionville High School auditorium. It's free and open to the public; register at www.socialmediafocus.eventbrite.com.
I'm constantly amazed at how fluent the Young Relative is online, but I really shouldn't be: computer games and the Internet have been around his entire life. He informed me recently that Facebook is officially passé because all of us old folks (i.e., people my age) are using it now. He wouldn't tell me what has replaced it.
When registering for the talk online I got an error message with a red X symbol warning me that the site's web certificate had dubious origins. Ah, well played, I thought; the organizers are giving us an example of effective Internet security. How clever!
Then I realized I mistyped the URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment