Friday, November 15, 2013

Quaker events


This morning I went to London Grove Friends Meeting's used-book sale (frequent readers know it would be easier just to list the used-book sales that I actually pass up) for the benefit of the Meeting's wonderful kindergarten. Meeting member Leona Provinski greeted me warmly and told me she estimated that the volunteers collected 2,500 books.


I bought a bag full -- not that I really need more books in my house, but just because I thought some of them would interest friends or family, and others might come in handy if we get really snowed in this winter. I also found an old John Thompson primer that took me right back to my piano-lessons days in the 1960s. I simply had to buy it, if only to revisit the quaint and well-remembered 1920s illustrations.


Another Quaker event is coming up on Saturday, Nov. 23. The Quaker Fair at Kennett Friends Meeting, a local tradition, will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. As always, there's a used-book sale, home-made crafts, a rummage sale and lunch. Proceeds benefit the American Friends Service Committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment