Thursday, January 23, 2014

Visiting time

Today I had the pleasure of visiting two senior citizens, parents of a friend, who just moved to one of the new assisted-living facilities in our area. The older couple and I had a nice visit in the large, comfortable, sunny reception room, which had a built-in fish tank and a big-screen TV playing afternoon talk shows. I talked up the attractions of our little town. They both wanted to get library cards, and I told them how easy it is to do that.
I heard all about the facility's food, the welcome freedom from supermarket shopping, cooking and cleaning up, and the avidity with which the residents approach the elevator to go downstairs at mealtime.
My friend's mother told me how much she loves to see visitors, especially when they bring pets with them to cuddle. It was too cold to take my guinea pig Binnie outside, but I promised I'd bring her in the spring.
I noticed how very careful the facility is about keeping germs away from their residents: there were antibacterial hand wipes at the front desk and plenty of signs and pamphlets urging visitors not to put residents at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment