Friday, May 23, 2014

Back to the Garden

I made my first trip to my favorite garden center on Thursday, and while I was there texted a pal telling him that I was buying plants. I think I must have typed quite a few exclamation points and capital letters, because he later remarked what a happy and upbeat message it was.
Well, I mean, how could it not be. The garden center is such a wonderful place, full of great sights and smells (the peonies! the heliotrope!) and nice people. I bought some unusual hostas for a newly shady area, annuals to fill up my deck containers, Thai basil and parsley for the kitchen pots, and sweet-potato vines to fill in some empty, less-than-sunny spaces (and, one hopes, to hide fading daffodil and tulip leaves). I had trouble fitting my purchases into the back of my vehicle; the thunbergia rode up front with me.
And it's not only the pleasure of seeing these nice plants; it's also the anticipation of nurturing them so they'll thrive (again, one hopes) and improve your outside environment all summer long. I call that an excellent deal!
(Oh, and for those readers who urged me to thank the deer for destroying my English ivy over the winter? I don't really miss it; ferns have taken over.)

No comments:

Post a Comment