Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Mayor of Unionville

Unionville has lost another priceless, one-of-a-kind old-timer: Sam Barnard, of Barnard's Orchards, died on Friday, May 16, at age 97. Sam was a cheerful, friendly gentleman, and I always looked forward to seeing him when I'd stop by the orchards for cider, vegetables or the magnificent flowers he grew. I knew that Sam was a lifelong Unionville resident (UHS class of 1934) and a member of Marlborough Friends Meeting, but I didn't realize until I read his obituary that he was also a founder of the Po-Mar-Lin Fire Company and was active in the East Lynn Grange, the Unionville Cemetery Association, and the Kennett Masonic Lodge.
Condolences to his large family, and especially to his business partner in the orchard business, his nephew Lewis Barnard.
 
Rest in peace, Sam. A life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment