Thursday, May 1, 2014

Saturated

The evening of the rain storm, I was in the locker room of the Jennersville Y, and a fellow athlete, about to shower, was vexed to discover that she had left her bath towel at home.
"Why bother to dry off?" said another woman. "You'll get just soaked again as soon as you go outside."
Indeed. A few minutes later, I was southbound on Guernsey Road in West Grove when I saw a man walking north along the side of the road, with what at first I thought was a large white bandage on his head. As I got close I realized he was wearing a full horse-head mask. In the teeming rain. In the dark. In West Grove.
Of course, as soon as I got home I looked this up online and discovered that a whole subculture has sprung up around the wearing of these masks. It was certainly news to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment