Saturday, June 28, 2014

Form vs. function

A friend who made the transition from the corporate world to Unionville farm life said she used to have clearly demarcated wardrobes: work and home. No more. Functionality has taken precedence. She used to berate her husband for comingling "good" clothes and barn clothes in the washer, but there's no need for that anymore: they're just all clothes.
(I take that with a grain of salt: I've seen both her and her husband look very smart when they get duded up. So what if they're still in muck boots?)
I , too, was shuffling my clothes from my winter to my summer closets and found some truly sad specimens, like a faded blue polo shirt with a frayed collar and many holes. I used to save such treasures for gardening and outdoor work, but now most of my clothes seem to be suitable for that: I tossed it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment