Saturday, July 5, 2014

Free fireworks

At 9 p.m. July 4, the Shoppes at Longwood Village parking lot looked like it does on an especially hectic pre-Christmas shopping day. Well, except that people were relaxing in folding chairs or tossing footballs and hackysacks while waiting for Longwood's fireworks display to start.
Word has gotten out that you get a great -- and free -- view of the fireworks from the parking lot. I saw cars parked along Schoolhouse Road for the same reason. (I hasten to add that Longwood's tickets were sold out, so it's not like we were taking business away from them.)
I wasn't watching the clock -- we were doing a lot of family teasing and joking around -- but I imagine it was about 9:15 when the first firework was set off. The pace was slow at first, but then a whole cluster of them flashed and banged. "My, that escalated quickly," observed the Young Relative. There were a few especially loud ones (my favorites), some unusual oval ones, the sky-filling chrysanthemum ones, and the squiggly, fizzy kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment