Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Survey says ...

I just did my civic duty, if not happily: under threat of a $100 fine, I filled out the online American Community Survey for the U.S. Census Bureau.
I answered their detailed questions about my house, occupation, education, Internet connection and other utilities (do I have a flush toilet?), health insurance, ancestry ("American," I answered), and any disabilities.
I balked, however, when it came to the questions about income. That's nobody's business but mine; I clicked on "next" each time it asked for a number. The computer program prompted me for an estimate, but after I skipped over the prompt once, it took "no" for an answer on future questions of a financial nature.
The Census Bureau estimated it would take 40 minutes to complete. It took me only 10, I imagine because I'm a quick reader and because I'm a single person (you're supposed to answer all those questions for each person who lives at your address).
The introductory letter from the Census Bureau said, "Community leaders use this information to decide where schools, highways, hospitals, and other services are needed. The survey also is used to develop programs to reduce traffic congestion, provide job training, and plan for the health care needs of the elderly."
On privacy and intrusive-government grounds, I had qualms about completing the survey, even though the website assures us that our information will be kept confidential. Over lunch I shared my concerns with a friend whose political viewpoint leans toward the libertarian.
She told me to fill it out.
"You surprise me," I said. "I thought you'd absolutely refuse."
"Oh, I totally would have," she agreed. "Until you told me about the fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment