Saturday, February 28, 2015

A VISIT: The aftermath of a burst pipe

On Friday I paid a visit to a stranger with the hopes of getting her involved in an upcoming event I'm involved with. I arrived at her Oxford farm at an inopportune time, to put it mildly: a third-floor pipe had burst while she was out of town, and water had poured down through the house. Soggy furniture was stacked in the mudroom. Dehumidifiers were running full blast. Artwork was set out in a sunny hallway to dry.
Things were particularly dicey in the laundry room, where ice had formed around the base of the washer and dryer, and there was even a stalagmite of ice growing between the two appliances. The homeowner and I both had sturdy boots on, so we tried to smash the ice into smaller pieces.
It occurred to me that this was an interesting way of "breaking the ice" with a new acquaintance.

No comments:

Post a Comment