Saturday, February 28, 2015

THE BOOK SALE: Books to read, DVDs to watch

I had a great time at the Unionville PTO Used Book Sale on Saturday. This year they had a separate "collector's room" for rare books, books of local interest, and autographed books, some of the more delicate ones protected in plastic bags. In the main part of the sale, there were tables full of romances, mysteries, DVDs, nonfiction and kid's books. I liked the fact that some of the more prolific authors, like Tom Clancy and Nora Roberts, had their own separate sections. For some reason, there seemed to be dozens of copies of Stieg Larsson's books and Anita Diamant's "The Red Tent" for sale this year.
I scored big this year, finding several novels as well as DVDs ("A Chorus Line" and the first season of both "The Sopranos" and "Mad Men"). No, I have NOT finished reading the books I received as Christmas presents yet; your point being?
Two reporters from the UHS newspaper, the Indian Post, were selling coffee and donuts at the sale. As a former high-school journalist myself, I couldn't resist buying some, having a chat with the kids and looking through the paper. I loved reading the well-argued editorials about some controversial new rules in the library and whether the scheduling of mid-terms should be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment