Sunday, March 1, 2015

ON THE RADIO: Top of the charts from the Seventies

I know I'm not the only one who has been glued to WXPN 88.5 this weekend listening to their Seventies marathon: they've been playing every single number-one song from that decade, chronologically. As I'm writing this (trapped inside because of the freezing rain), they're playing Paul McCartney & Wings' "Silly Love Songs" from the spring of 1976 (which topped the charts for five weeks).
What a blast from my high-school years! It's scary how I recognize every song -- sometimes within the first few notes -- and most of the lyrics, even though it's been many years since I've heard them, songs like "Delta Dawn," "Sunshine on my Shoulder," and "Love Machine." Great stuff.
And what a hoot to remember TV shows like "Welcome Back, Kotter" (could you name the Sweathogs?) and fads like streaking and CB radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment