Friday, March 13, 2015

WINNIE-THE-POOH: A sneak peek at a new book

I knew there wouldn't be enough time for me to go home between a late lunch date and my gym class at the Kennett Y, so I took along my current proofreading project to work on in the Y lobby (it's a book on the history of public opinion surveys about religion).
I sat down at one of the tables, plugged in my headphones, spread out my papers and worked for about 45 minutes. As I packed up, I noticed that the woman at the next table also had a stack of hard-copy proofs in front of her.
I struck up a conversation, and it turns out that her name is Kathryn Aalto and she is an accomplished garden designer and writer. She lives in Exeter, England, but is in the States with her husband during his academic sabbatical. And what she was working on was the proofs for her book, Exploring the Hundred Acre Wood: The Natural World of Winnie-the-Pooh, which is supposed to come out this September. It looks completely charming, full of the original pre-Disney Pooh illustrations by E. H. Shepard. (Kathryn cautioned me that the book title might be changed; apparently her publisher, Timber Press, was still getting input from the sales force).



2 comments:

  1. Interesting! Hope Ms Aalto will be making further appearances in this column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big Pooh fan from way back. It looks like a terrific book.

    ReplyDelete