Sunday, June 14, 2015

CONVERTIBLE: Driving with the top down gives me a breezy attitude

This weekend was hot and sunny -- a great opportunity to drive with the top down.
But I've learned that those photos of glamorous Fifties starlets at the wheel of a gleaming convertible are not entirely realistic (gasp!). For one, the actresses always seem to be wearing a perfectly knotted Hermès headscarf and oversized sunglasses. OK, I've got the big sunglasses, but the similarity ends there. In the passenger seat, I'm usually clutching at my hat and my (non-Hermès) scarf to keep them from blowing away and/or whipping the poor driver in the face.
Today I was accessorizing with a bulky air filter, which was so lightweight that it was ready to take flight and sail out of the vehicle the minute we left the Sears Hardware parking lot. I had to hold it in my lap all the way home.
This evening, after dinner at La Pena Mexicana and grocery shopping at the Giant (and socializing with three friends we ran into), an alert about a pop-up thunderstorm popped up on my phone and, sure enough, the sky to the north looked distinctly threatening. So, in the parking lot of the Giant, we took a few minutes to pull the roof back into place and zip the windows in. Just as well: we drove through a brief storm on the way home. As the driver pointed out, there is a big difference between water-resistant and waterproof.

2 comments:

  1. We believe we sat near you at La Pena that evening, dear Bloggeuse. We recognized you by your athletic build and athleisure wear, by your toenail polish (you once posted a photo of your feet in a hammock), by your approximate age and by your Friend about whom we have read bits in your blog. And we discussed buying beer. Hope we didn't stare :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could well have been me/us! "Athletic build," you are too kind.

    ReplyDelete