Friday, July 17, 2015

COUNTRY ROAD: Bicyclists certainly do love a challenge

There is a long (half-a-mile), steep hill on the country road where I live. It's a pleasant walk downhill, and coming back gives you a definite aerobic workout.
Yesterday evening, possibly the most beautiful day of the summer, I was starting off my walk and saw a bicyclist just finishing the hill. He was sweaty and panting.
"Long hill, isn't it?" I said.
His weary look disappeared.
"Yeah. Great hill!" he said. "Love it!"
I'd forgotten how hard-core bicyclists are. I should know, having several of them in my immediate family.
Later on my walk I saw another physical feat worth remarking on. Barn swallows were swooping down to catch insects on the surface of a little pond. My bird book describes them as marvelously agile birds, and their flying skills were certainly on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment