Monday, August 24, 2015

WEST MARLBOROUGH: A lovely summer afternoon at Primitive Hall

I would venture to suggest that there were no more surprised and delighted people in West Marlborough on Sunday than the organizers of the Charlie Zahm concert at Primitive Hall. I can say this because I was one of them.
We put out the word that Charlie and Tad Marks would be performing at 5 p.m., and the Hall -- the historic homestead of the Pennock family, built in 1738 -- would be open beforehand for tours. We really had no idea how many people would show up for an event on an end-of-summer Sunday afternoon.
Well, I arrived at 3 and found the first visitors were already waiting. I quickly donned my name tag and had the pleasure of showing people around and talking about the Hall's history until almost the moment the concert started.
Outside, guests were picnicking in the walnut grove. Some brought simple meals of sandwiches and potato chips; others prepared vats of gazpacho, brought a selection of beer and wine, and set up portable tables with little flower arrangements. La Michoacana did a roaring business selling their popsicles -- during intermission it seemed like everyone was eating one.
Charlie (on guitar) and Tad (on fiddle) performed a wonderful mix of Irish and Scottish songs, 1960s songs, and folk tunes, and even threw in "They Call the Wind Maria" from "Paint Your Wagon." Tad played the haunting "Ashokan Farewell" and joked about the mispronunciations he has heard, like "Shogun Farewell" and "Chokin' Farewell."
Looking back, I suppose that we shouldn't have been surprised that we had such an amazing turnout. Some of the visitors were attracted to the local history. A few community members told me they'd driven by the Hall for years and were thrilled to get a chance to look inside.  Others mainly came to hear the music -- Charlie has quite a local following. And still others came to socialize with their friends and neighbors in a beautiful spot on a beautiful afternoon.
"You should totally make this an annual thing," said one woman to me as I was leaving.
I think I can again speak for the Hall board when I say this: We are hugely grateful to all of you for coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment