Saturday, September 12, 2015

HOBBIES: Does not follow instructions well

I don't need to tell my fellow knitters what a humbling hobby it can be. I'm working on a sweet little cardigan sweater for a year-old girl. It is tiny but mighty challenging. I lost track of how many times I had to rip out the front band, where the buttons are sewn: either I was picking up stitches irregularly, or I overshot the mark and trespassed into the collar part. Imagine my pride when I finally got the darn thing just right, with the bottom of the band exactly matching the bottom of the sweater TO THE VERY ROW!
Then it was time to knit the other band, the one with the buttonholes. Piece of cake. I placed a marker at the top of where the band should go and hit it precisely. I kept track of the ribbing rows, comparing the width to the opposite band to make sure they matched. I started composing this Tilda item in my head as I knitted, trying to figure out how to make knitting terminology intelligible to a lay audience.
As it says in the Book of Proverbs, "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall": I completely forgot to bind off for the buttonholes.
At least I'm getting really competent at ripping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment