Sunday, October 18, 2015

FORMS: A bumper sticker beyond my comprehension

There's a great line in Kingsley Amis's dated but still funny novel "Lucky Jim": "Dixon fell silent again, reflecting, not for the first time, that he knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about other people or their lives." (A friend had just told him that "of course" she informed her husband about her infidelity.)
I was reminded of that this morning at the Kennett Y when I saw the following bumper sticker: "Read the forms, yo!"
My first thought was the "Daily Racing Form," but that hallowed periodical is singular, not plural.
Then I thought of concrete forms; perhaps the advice was directed to construction workers (hence the Philadelphia idiom "yo")?
Or was it "tax forms" that were meant? Was the car driven by a tax lawyer fed up with his lazy clients?
Of course I Googled the phrase, but nothing popped up. Baffling.

No comments:

Post a Comment