Wednesday, October 21, 2015

STATION 36: Come out and help the volunteer fire company

I had a terrific tour of the Po-Mar-Lin firehouse on Monday night, thanks to firefighter Rob Mastrippolito and his mother, Robin. Rob showed me the company's vehicles (which are much bigger when you're standing next to them!) and some of the heavy-duty tools of the trade. I took off my boots and tried on some bunker gear, which is really heavy and bulky (of course, photos of me showed up on Facebook within minutes). I can't imagine climbing up a ladder in it; these are some crazy strong people!
Rob also demonstrated a very cool smartphone app that the firefighters can use to signal they're on their way to the station in case of a call; a list of those who are en route shows up on a screen, which helps make the company's response as efficient as possible.
Every Monday at 7 p.m. is "work night" at the station, and I was pleased to see so many young men and women showing up (and what a nice bunch they seemed!). Robin asked me to spread the word that the company is always looking for more volunteers. "Even if they just show up to ask questions about what commitment is involved, training, etc.," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment