Sunday, November 8, 2015

GOOD CONSUMERS: It never hurts to ask

My parents passed along to all of us kids a strong sense of self-agency. I can remember my mother urging me to write a letter to the editor when the school board wanted to squeeze more lockers into the corridors of my middle school (I urged the school board members to visit and see how impossibly crowded the hallways already were between classes).
So when my electric toothbrush died last week, I was just about ready to order a new one, because I didn't feel like digging through dusty files to find the date I'd bought it and so forth. But my training held good: I called the 1-800 number anyway, talked to a customer service guy named Lloyd and much to my surprise, no questions asked, they are sending me a brand-new one!
Thank you, Philips. As a wise friend said, "Never underestimate the power of asking."

No comments:

Post a Comment