Sunday, January 24, 2016

JONAS: Tilda takes it easy

I apologize for the fact that my column is distinctly lean this week, but everything I had planned to write about was canceled because of the blizzard. While I was snowed in I did nothing more exciting than watch the birds at the feeders, edit a constitutional law book, watch "The Maltese Falcon" and "Mad Men" (season one), and solve a backlog of "Wall Street Journal" crossword puzzles.
I was living in the lap of luxury compared to my friends who had to go outside to take care of their horses, chickens and other critters -- especially if they had to drive. Photos of abandoned vehicles and impassable drifts filled Facebook, along with harrowing stories about awful commutes and pleas from emergency personnel to stay home if possible (by the way: thank you, road crew guys!). I ventured outside only to fill the bird feeders and shoot a video of my wind-chimes, which were practically horizontal in the howling wind and ringing furiously.
On Friday at lunchtime I stopped in at the Jennersville Giant for last-minute provisions and, predictably, they were out of milk. A shopper behind me saw the empty shelves, chuckled, and said, "Choices!" Another man just stood there staring, unsure what to do (I got the sense he didn't often do the grocery shopping).
"Do you think they have more in the back?" he asked me.
"Try slipping the guy a $20," I suggested. I don't think he realized I was kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment