Thursday, January 28, 2016

ROUTE 1: Reversing the tide

What a strange experience I had on Monday, Jan. 25! At 4 p.m. I was on the Route 1 bypass, heading south from Kennett toward Jennersville (a coffee-shop meeting), when I saw lots of emergency equipment tending to an accident in the northbound lanes. Then there was a stretch of empty road, and more equipment, with firefighters in bunker gear walking toward the first scene. Then came the strange sight: the road was being closed, and northbound traffic was being told to turn around, so cars in all four lanes of the divided highway, on both sides of the median strip, were heading in the same direction. They were crossing over and exiting at the Newark Road off-ramp.
I was alone in the car so couldn't shoot a good video of the oddity but was struck by how freaky it looked.
I learned later that the equipment was on the scene because of an overturned propane truck. That would also explain the wide buffer zone between the two areas where I saw the emergency crews. I must have been one of the last cars allowed to enter at Route 82 before the highway was closed completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment