Saturday, April 16, 2016

ELECTION: Counting down to the primary

I try to be a reasonably well-informed citizen, so this weekend I attended a meet-and-greet and spent an hour or so listening to a political candidate discuss his views. Some of his positions matched mine but others I disagreed with strongly, which will present me with a definite quandary at the polling place on April 26.
The candidate was obviously leading a pretty punishing campaign schedule: once or twice he had a slight lapse of concentration but smoothly recovered, falling back on his core talking points.
During the Q&A session, some of the attendees repeated their opinions several times, getting more worked up with each iteration. Immigration laws, government regulations and Social Security inequities seemed to be hot-button issues. I admired the way the candidate handled the more voluble talkers, apologizing for the shortness of time and gently redirecting the personal complaints back toward the arguments he wanted to stress.
I may not like the position this guy takes on some social issues, but his cookies were excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment