Saturday, May 28, 2016

CHESHIRE: A challenging contest

The other night at dinner, my brother and I were reminiscing about the competition that the Cheshire Hunt ran several winters ago where each week they would post a photo of a jump somewhere in their foxhunting territory and you had to figure out where it was located. Some were very easy and you recognized it as soon as you saw it. Others, not so much. 
One week there was a particularly vexing photo with no obvious clues. A friend and I had spent an entire afternoon trying unsuccessfully to find it, driving all over Cheshire country around peering at fence lines and even hiking through the icy Laurels. Another friend who says she knows every inch of the hunting territory didn't recognize it.
Fortunately I shared the photo with my brother, who is an experienced pilot, accustomed to navigating from the air.
"We've gotta be able to find this," he said with determination.
With the help of Google Earth, he pored over the terrain maps and used the configuration of the treeline, fields, and road in the photo to pinpoint the exact location of the jump (it was off a remote road in Highland Township). Even though it was well after dark, I immediately drove out to and verified it.
Next time I see the woman responsible for the contest, I'm going to ask her if she'd consider doing it again. It was a great challenge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment