Saturday, February 25, 2017

UNIONVILLE: The Used Book Sale

Once a year, thanks to the hard work of a regiment of volunteers, the Unionville High School gymnasium is transformed into a used book shop to raise money for the school PTO. I stopped by on Friday evening and, as always, had a great time browsing through both popular trade paperbacks (there were endless copies of "Eat, Love, Pray") and utterly offbeat works (a detailed initiation manual for a certain fraternity; so much for secrecy!).
This year the "collectible" corner had quite a selection of old books about Native Americans, and judging by the "required reading" table Unionville kids are still reading Shakespeare, Charlotte Bronte, Mark Twain and Hemingway (excellent!).
I went home with a 1960s etiquette manual (I collect them) in case I need to know how to address a Roman Catholic bishop at a dinner party. I also was delighted to purchase four seasons of "The Sopranos" on DVD for only $4 each. I doubt the etiquette book takes up the topic of how to address a mob boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment