Sunday, July 9, 2017

RESPECT: An open-and-shut case

I belong to a community-minded organization that prides itself on its member relations, so management encourages us to submit comments, which are then posted in the lobby for all to read. The sentiments expressed sometimes make me shake my head. For instance, a few members expressed their anger that the organization was closed for a recent major national holiday and said their membership fees should be reduced accordingly.
As humor writer Dave Barry might say: I am not making this up.
Perhaps it didn't occur to them that opening the facility would mean that some employees would be required to work on a holiday rather than spending the time with their families, or their pets, or even all by themselves communing with nature or Facebook.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: All teenagers, especially those from a privileged background, should be required to work with the public in a menial job. I believe this would go a long way to helping them understand how unreasonable and entitled people can be and, ideally, inoculating them against such behavior in the future.
I know; I can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment