Saturday, July 15, 2017

WEST MARLBOROUGH: Swept away

In the latest episode of that long-running comedy of Tilda's life, "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished":
In the middle of last week, to beat the predicted record-high temperatures, I spent a few hours doing a meticulous job of weeding the garden. It looked beautiful, with neat rows of flowers separated by weed-free spent compost. I even weeded between the rows of sunflowers.
Fast-forward to Friday afternoon's flash flood. I returned home to find that a good portion of that spent compost had been washed out of the garden and into the grass. Had I left the weeds in place, of course, they would have held back the mulch.
That was a memorable storm indeed. My phone was chiming all afternoon with incoming weather alerts, and even a friend who doesn't subscribe to the warnings received one. I'm still not sure how it got through his phone's Invisibility Cloak.

No comments:

Post a Comment