Sunday, December 3, 2017

EARTHQUAKE: An odd sensation

The 4.1-magnitude earthquake that rattled our area just before 5 p.m. Nov. 30 was greeted by either excitement (by me), jaded boredom (by those who have lived on the West Coast) or confusion and regret (by those who missed it). 
I was sitting on the sofa trying to solve a puzzle (I participate in a weekly nerd-fest competition) when I heard a rumbling noise and the house shook. My first thought -- who thinks of an earthquake initially? -- was that it was either a cattle trailer or a heavy dump truck on the road outside, but there was no sign of either. Nor was there a low-flying helicopter, which can also shake the house. 
Puzzle-solving was preempted as I immediately went online to find out what was going on. 
I should add that the cats showed no reaction to the tremors; both continued snoozing per usual.
I missed the August 2011 earthquake (I was in my car), so I was glad to experience this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment