Saturday, February 17, 2018

ROADS: More tips for young drivers

A few weeks ago I wrote about the fact that the Young Relative is learning to drive. I asked readers to share their advice suitable for a novice driver, and I keep getting great ideas. Here are the latest:



1. Always keep two hands on the wheel.
2. Use your turn signals. (This should be a no-brainer but it's not.)
3. Keep your car clean and shiny to improve visibility.
4. One friend shared her sister's timeless words of wisdom: "She was trying to emphasize the importance of paying attention and being careful. She said, 'The tree always wins. It was here before you and it will be here long after you are gone.'"
5. Allow enough time to get where you're going, and don't speed or drive recklessly if you're running late -- even if it's to school or practice. It's not worth it!
6. Don't gun it just as the light turns green; look both ways first! Too many people run red lights. In fact, reader Carol McL says, "At my most frequently used intersection (route 1 and McFarlan) it appears that stopping for a red light has become optional." 
7. Here's one I hadn't thought of, from reader Frederick S.: "Watch out for the gravel that builds up near stop signs after snow storms. Young drivers try to stop at the last minute and slid past the sign and into cross traffic."
8. Speaking of bad weather, Jenna S. reminded me how important it is for learners to practice driving in the rain and snow.
9. My father taught me to drive, and I am frequently reminded of his tip for what to do when an oncoming driver fails to dim his high beams: keep your eyes on the white line on the edge of the road rather than being blinded by the headlights.   

No comments:

Post a Comment