Wednesday, April 11, 2018

PERKINS: Female of the species

So we were having breakfast-for-dinner tonight at a local casual eatery, and in a nearby booth a woman was telling her three companions about her daughter, who is training to be a nurse and is doing her clinical rotation at a Philadelphia hospital before taking her boards. She was talking about the daughter's crazy schedule, and then our food arrived and for a while I devoted all my attention to my pancakes and bacon.
Then I heard her say, "Her pregnancy was confirmed on Monday, and she's due May 21."
Wow, I thought; didn't she realize she was pregnant before that?
It quickly got even stranger.
"Last time she had three, and the time before, four, but one was stillborn," the woman said, matter-of-factly. "So we're not sure what to expect this time."
What? WHAT??
To my relief, in the next sentence the woman cleared things up by remarking how attractive the expectant mother is -- "she's that really pretty kind of light yellow Lab."
The Dearest Partner missed this confusing conversation, so I shared it with him while we were standing in line waiting to pay. The man in front of us was listening (how fitting!) and didn't even try to hide his amusement.
"Just another night in Avondale," he said to us, laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment