Saturday, October 13, 2018

UHS: National Honor Society

When I was in high school, I considered the National Honor Society hokey, uncool and (in the parlance of the day) irrelevant, just something to put on your college application.
I thought you were supposed to get more cynical with age rather than less, but I found the Oct. 10 National Honor Society induction ceremony at Unionville High School to be heartening and completely relevant. Mrs. Veronique Liska's remarks (she is the 2018 UHS Teacher of the Year) about "quiet leadership" were completely on target in today's grandstanding world, and the society's lofty standards for scholarship, leadership, character, and service that seemed so corny to me as a teen now seem to be excellent benchmarks.
Congrats to the dozens of new inductees. And the Chamber Choir's performance of the National Anthem was magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment