Friday, November 2, 2018

ACCIDENTS: Deer vs. vehicle

While driving this time of year, I always keep a careful lookout for deer and other wildlife ready to dart out into the road. I'm especially watchful along Newark Road between Street Road and Upland Road, which seems to be a favorite place for deer to cross. And sure enough, the other evening there was a deer carcass already lying in the northbound lane. Fortunately I was going slowly enough to avoid it completely. (And maybe, just maybe, the guy tailgating me realized why I was driving below the speed limit.)
And remember that if you see one deer, there are probably others. 
The other afternoon I was driving along one of our township's gravel roads and saw a young man in camouflage walking along carrying a crossbow. I stopped, said hello, and told him I'd seen a lot of deer around this autumn.
"Really?" he responded with surprise. He, it seems, had not.

No comments:

Post a Comment