Tuesday, March 31, 2020

A NEW START: Out of print

For those of you who are just joining my blog online, welcome! Due to budget cuts --it's a terrible time for local newspapers -- my column is moving online for the foreseeable future. But you'll be able to read the same content here as you did in the paper.
As a matter of fact, "Unionville in the News" was online even before it started appearing the The Kennett Paper back in 2012. The Kennett Paper's editor, Fran Maye, came across my blog and thought it would strike a chord with readers. From the feedback I've gotten, he was right.
I started writing my blog in reaction to all the snark, meanness, and willful ignorance that was rampant even around 10 years ago. Otherwise mature adults were thoughtlessly hurling insults at those they disagreed with, calling them names that would have gotten the Young Relative -- then in elementary school -- an expedited appointment with the school psychologist. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and with my overdeveloped sense of agency I thought, "Y'know what? I'll bet I can do better."
So I started writing about what was going on in my world, the events, sights and conversations that make Unionville such a distinctive and well-defined community. School plays and athletic meets. The Community Fair. My perennial struggle with the self-checkout registers at the Giant. The first skunk cabbage of the year. Hadley Fund lectures and concerts at Anson B. Nixon Park. The adventures of my accident-prone equestrian pals.
And I've tried to do with kindness and tact. I've missed the mark a couple of times and I'm sure I'll continue to do so. But I hope you'll find this online format just as easy to read as the newspaper, and I hope you'll keep sending me your own "Tilda items" (uvilleblogger@gmail.com). 

No comments:

Post a Comment