Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Share the road

Hordes of bicyclists are dusting off their bike helmets, donning their bike shorts and heading outside for some healthy exercise. Which is great -- but on our winding country roads, the combination of cars and bikes isn't always a happy one. For advice on co-existence, I turned to my brother, who used to be a competitive bike racer and is now a serious amateur who frequents Unionville roads.
What do bicyclists want motorists to know?
1. Think how you would act if you saw a person riding a horse along the side of the road. You'd slow down. Don't treat me worse than a horse.
2. Don't honk at me.
3. Don't pass me and then immediately turn right.
4. I don't care how close you come to me, just don't hit me. (Yes, he has been hit.)
So the next time you're tempted to zip past a bicyclist to save a minute or so (believe me, I know, I am too), think: "That could be Tilda's brother!"
By the way, I was asked what the "L" stands for on the bike signs around here (for instance, along the Brandywine on Routes 100 and 842). It stands for Route L, one of the nine bike routes that PennDOT has demarcated around the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment