Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rebuilding bridges

The iron-truss bridge on Allerton Road, crossing the east branch of the Brandywine Creek, has been closed since May 17 for repairs and repaving. The work was supposed to take only a month, but I stopped by to check on June 15 and I don't think it'll be ready on schedule. According to East Bradford Township's website, Jefferis Bridge is owned and maintained by Chester County and was originally a covered bridge but burned down in the early 1900s.
(By the way, I love Allerton Road: it's fun to drive and there are beautiful farms and a charming fairy-tale cottage set in the woods.)
The same evening, I stopped by the Northbrook bridge over the Brandywine, and I didn't realize the project was so extensive. The workers have installed low concrete curbs and have filled in the metal grating on the deck of the bridge. They've completely removed the steep north approach to the bridge and are rebuilding it from the ground up (see photo). I predict there is no way they will meet their June deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment