Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Downtown

My presence was requested for some business purposes last week in Conshohocken, so I drove in on the 30 bypass, Route 202 and the Expressway (no traffic lights all the way from Coatesville to Conshy!). It's only a 45-minute trip from Unionville, but I felt like I was in an exotic foreign country, in a fancy office building with revolving doors, elevators and an extremely polite doorman. The inhabitants wore natty business suits and polished shoes; one sported not only cufflinks, but bull-and-bear cufflinks!
And they definitely spoke a foreign language, with phrases like "closed-end bonds" and "universe comparison" and (my favorite) "zombie banks." My wonderful financial advisor dude was very patient with me, but I was definitely pushing the limits of "there's no such thing as a stupid question."
But I had a great time -- it's novel to be in an environment where Wellies, gym socks and grubby fingernails would be out of place. I stretched my mind, learned a few things about investments and even left with a pair of Phillies tickets. With reserved parking!

No comments:

Post a Comment