Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Booked

I was lunching by myself on Tuesday and eavesdropped on the professional couple at the next table who were busy organizing every hour in the rest of their summer. She had her schedule book open and he had his smartphone humming, looking up when the Phillies were playing, what HersheyPark's hours are, where the closest paintball facility and water park are, how far Annapolis is, even weather forecasts for going out on their boat.
I think they both must supervise a lot of underlings because they repeated their final, complicated plans to each other so many times that they stuck in even my mind. Every day was fully mapped out; the woman seemed concerned that one Monday was free.
"I'll put `Question mark, Orioles,' OK?" she asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment