Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Limestone facts

I was taking my recycling to the landfill this morning and noticed a faint haze of white above the fields on the north side of Street Road, west of Chatham Road. As I approached I saw a few trucks from Martin Limestone spreading a coating of white powder, I assumed limestone, over the fields.
When I got home I did some research.
"Liming with Martin's pulverized limestone neutralizes soil acidity and naturally replenishes vital calcium and magnesium – the nutrients which help maintain fertile soil conditions in plant root zones," according to Martin's website. "By maintaining a proper soil pH, you can increase the effectiveness of high-cost fertilizers and herbicides which do not work as well in excessively acidic soil. It also increases the effectiveness of other natural soil nutrients such as phosphorus nitrogen, and manganese which are sensitive to soil pH."
Although the website says that fall and early winter are the best times to apply lime, "Whatever time of year you choose, our unique boom spreading application of dry agricultural lime provides efficient and balanced coverage of the soil. This combination of even soil coverage and timely application is the most effective use of limestone."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment