Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Boulangerie


How is it that I just now learned about Bakers at Red Lion?
My friend Karen was raving about this little part-time bakery at Route 926 and Doe Run Road, and then her daughter phoned this morning to tell me that the French flag was flying -- which means the bakery is open for business.
So I stopped by after playing tennis, pulled over onto the side of the road and walked in. The unbeatable smell of fresh-baked bread surrounded me. There were long loaves of French bread, round loaves of crusty bread with sprigs of rosemary, brownies, sun-dried-tomato bread, and a basket of "baps" -- little boules, each wrapped in a square of foil, with a chunk of butter on top. The baked goods change from week to week but there are always baguettes.
The bakery is self-service and on the honor system; you write down your purchase in a notebook and leave your money in a coffee can.
I bought a loaf of French bread with a wonderfully salty crust ($4) and could not resist trying a bap ($1), which I ate it in the car for lunch. Butter was dripping onto my hand. I licked it up like a cat. It was a fabulous experience.
Mesdames Barbara Churchville and Nancy Fenstermacher are the owners of this delightful bakery. What a find!
Look for the French flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment