Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Labels

I was amused to read a newspaper story about how counterfeiters have gotten so good at faking "designer" handbags from Chanel and Hermes that even experts poring over the stitching and leather are fooled. Where's the tipping point at which the quality of a fake becomes so good that you're paying hundreds of extra dollars just for the questionable thrill of owning a real logo?
You may have gathered that I don't sport company names all over my clothing, handbag or jewelry (ahem, cars don't count). As far as I'm concerned, fashion designers and clothing stores should pay me to wear their emblems; I'm not a walking advertisement for their wares.
It was not always this way. In the early 1980s, my then-beau would buy me a certain logo'd short-sleeved shirt as a way to apologize each time he committed a relationship infraction. I amassed quite a collection before parting ways with him; after all, a $32 shirt was a luxury on a reporter's salary.
Now he buys me an expensive dinner every time he's in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment