Saturday, September 10, 2011

Rainy season

So that's what they mean by "flash flood."
I was at my desk working all afternoon and heard the rain pelting down occasionally, but thought it was just a lot of rain.
Then I heard the dog barking like crazy, looked outside and saw a motorist backing up -- because the tiny creek in front of the house had flooded completely over the road!
I've never seen it like that. The water was flowing so fast that it looked like one of those infinity-edge pools, or the Eye of Water at Longwood Gardens. The drainpipe under the road where just days before, during the power outage, I had collected buckets of water to flush the toilet was almost completely submerged.

But the waters receded just as quickly; by the time I left home for dinner even my low-to-the-ground car made it through with no trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment