Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Strasburg Road trip

On Tuesday I had an errand to run in West Chester and some spare time, so I decided to take Strasburg Road all the way into town, because for the first time in seemingly ages there are no road closures.
So I took Route 82 to the Triple Fresh Market (spiffy new signs), made a right and just kept going.
There were so many interesting sights along the way that next time I'm going to have somebody else drive so I can just goggle. I crossed the new Mortonville bridge and passed through Mortonville, the former home of Dugal's Inn (only the sign remains) and a long-closed bar on Creek Road that's now completely overgrown with vines. I saw one property where the homeowners apparently got fed up with mowing and replaced their entire lawn with dark-brown stones. A church's sign said it was offering a "backpack blessing" to mark the beginning of the school year. The abandoned brick buildings of the former Embreeville Hospital are boarded up and crumbling.
For once you can drive all the way through Marshallton, though the road improvements still aren't completed. At least I hope they're not, because the rumble strip that's supposed to run down the middle of the road is, instead, right where your driver's side tire is.
I spotted a couple of beautifully maintained old houses, right on the road, and I saw a few historical markers along the way but didn't get out and read them because it was pouring. Next time, definitely.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the historical markers must have been about "Judge" Bordley, right before Marshallton. His beautiful 18th century house is now a golf club house! He is considered the father of American agriculture because he wrote about many techniques such as crop rotation. He claimed he merely stole from the English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Next time I'll stop and read about him. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete