Thursday, September 8, 2011

Role models

My friend Betsy Ward Cagle was reminiscing the other day about a truly remarkable human being, the late Averell Penn Smith Walker (Mrs. Joseph Walker), who was Mrs. Hannum's sister. She writes:
"She was an amazing woman who was paralyzed in a racing accident in 1960, and there is not a day that goes by that she doesn't cross my mind. Someone asked her why no handicapped sticker for car and she said, "the only thing I can't do that you can is walk." I never once heard her complain about her situation." "She loved her sons, racing, her broodmares and her Norwich terriers. She called Dave [Leinhauser] and me the day before she died and I had the final opportunity to tell her we loved her and I'm so glad I said it. There will never be another Mrs. H or Mrs. W. Amazing women."

No comments:

Post a Comment