Tuesday, January 10, 2012

So lucky

After a long morning of work (I'm editing a book on the history of an obscure scientific principle involving the electric eel), I needed to get out of the house. I went to the post office and then stopped by Polished on South Union Street in Kennett to get a pedicure (a cheerful cherry-red color). As always happens, I ran into an old friend there, and while our digits were being worked on we had a delightful time catching up, chatting about new restaurants, family members, the school board and our mutual brown thumbs when it comes to growing dahlias.
She told me that often, perhaps when she's about to serve on the tennis court, or when she spots a blue heron flying over the golf course, she catches her breath and feels a profound sense of gratitude -- to be healthy and outdoors playing a sport, to be leading such a comfortable life where she can pop in and get a manicure in the middle of the day.
I agree wholeheartedly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment